There was an exceptional turnout last night at The West Vancouver Yacht Club to see Mayor Mike Smith. It was a special environment where people could ask any question and know they would be getting an honest answer.
The West Vancouver Chamber of Commerce did a fantastic job of bringing together corporate sponsors such as: West Vancouver Community Foundation, British Pacific Properties, Grosvenor, H.Y Louie, Larco Investments, London Drugs, Onni Group, Park Royal and WestVancouver.com in order to make this event happen.
The main issues that were discussed were:
- Climate Change (what affect this will have on West Vancouver's waterfront).
- Translink (how can West Vancouver separate as all funding is towards Metro Vancouver and Surrey and for ~$600 in taxes/year per resident we do not see any benefits).
- 13th Street/Marine Drive Grosvenor Project (in order to become a world class desitination we need to push forward with this plan). I agree that we need some trendy local stores and restaurants in Ambleside to keep locals from heading downtown Vancouver. Also, having a world class waterfront will bring tourists as well as Vancouver residents not only to Ambleside but other businesses will reap the benefits such as Dundarave Village. It's a win-win for our community.
- Affordable Housing (what steps are being taken to ensure that the younger generation can continue to live here in the future?).
- Outsourcing for items like solid waste (Cache Creek is almost at capacity...how can we recycle better and waste less so that future costs can go down?).
At the end of the day, change is scary to most people but once it has taken place most are grateful the change occured. Mayor Mike Smith is looking out for the best interest of the community and while it is taking some people out of their comfort zone, they need to trust that the changes that are about to take place will make the entire community better. This is a wonderful place to live, however, we can continue to improve and should always be looking at ways to do so.
Have a great weekend and enjoy the West Vancouver Community Day tomorrow at Ambleside (see Wednesday's blog for more information).
Jesse Dean Cook